I wanted a workbench to use with my increasing collection of hand tools and to help with assembly of various projects. While a traditional workbench would be ideal I had to balance the time to build against the time available. In the end I decided to do "something" now and build a traditional bench "someday".
I had some cabinet bases available that Jeff and I salvaged from a tearout in the offices where he works. I used a 48" wide base unit and removed the doors. I built an "insert" for it that had several drawers and one small cabinet for tool storage. I used some "sappy" cherry for this. The work top is three layers of 3/4" plywood laminated using polyurethane glue. I then mounted a 9" front vise on the left side.
I think it has worked out well. Lots of drawer space although I am using it up quickly.
The bench works great and only cost me 5 drawer extensions, three sheets of borg china ply and a used front vise! Now all I need to do is get it moved into the shop!!!