The Stickley Magazine Rack Project:

I saw the plans for this in Woodworking Magazine.  I was taken with it's simplicity and I thought my daughter Beth could use one.  I decided to use cherry as I had a good sized stack of it and I thought it would look nice.  The project was not too hard to do with the exception of an error in the stock call outs in the plans.  I ended up making two - so I could keep one as well.

I set them in the sun to darken the cherry after I applied the finish.

I made one a bit wider than the other as I wanted more room on the one that I kept.  I finished with shellac and General finishes Armor Seal.  It makes a nice finish but a little too glossy for my taste.  In use mine has held up very well - it was a good project.